To apply for a role, please email your resume and a short introduction to email@example.com. We are an equal opportunity employer and international applicants are welcome. Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!
Kaiko is a rapidly growing fintech startup in the digital assets industry with an international presence. Our mission is to be the foundation of the new digital finance economy, which promises to expand financial opportunity and inclusion globally. We do this by empowering market participants with accurate, transparent, and actionable crypto data to be leveraged for a range of market activities including strategy backtesting, in-depth research, valuation, analytics, and integrations.
About the Job
You will be joining a fast-paced engineering team made up of people with significant experience working with terabytes of data. We believe that everybody has something to bring to the table, and therefore put collaborative effort and team-work above all else (and not just on the engineering side).
You will be able to work autonomously as an equally trusted member of the team, and participate in efforts such as:
- Addressing high availability problems: cross-region data replication, disaster recovery, etc.
- Addressing “big data” problems: 200+ millions of messages/day, 60B data points since 2010 (currently growing at a rate of 6B per month).
- Improving our development workflow, continuous integration, continuous delivery and in a broader sense our team practices
- Expanding our platform’s observability through monitoring, logging, alerting and tracing
- Monitoring: VictoriaMetrics (+ vmalert and vmagent), Grafana
- Alerting: AlertManager, Sensu Go
- Logging: Vector
- Caching: Redis (phasing out in favor of FoundationDB)
- Secrets management and PKI: Vault
- Configuration management and provisioning: Terraform, Ansible
- Service discovery: Consul
- Messaging: Kafka
- Proxying: HAProxy
- Service deployment: Terraform, Nomad (plugged in Consul and Vault), Kubernetes (to a lesser extent, used for non production critical workloads)
- Database systems: ClickHouse (main datastore), FoundationDB (caching, deduplication)
- Operating System: Ubuntu 18.04
- Protocols: gRPC, HTTP (phasing out in favor of gRPC), WebSocket (phasing out in favor of gRPC)
- Platforms (packaged in Docker containers): Golang, NodeJS (phasing out in favor of Golang), Ruby (phasing out in favor of Golang)
- Design, develop and deploy scalable and observable backend microservices
- Reflect on our storage, querying and aggregation capabilities, as well as the technologies required to meet our objectives
- Work hand-in-hand with the business team on developing new features, addressing issues and extending the platform
Who We Are Looking For
- Significant experience as a Software/Data/DevOps Engineer
- Knowledgeable about data ingestion pipelines and massive data querying
- Worked with, in no particular order: microservices architecture, infrastructure as a code, self-managed services (eg. deploy and maintain our own databases), distributed services, server-side development, etc
Please note that we don’t have any “hard” requirements in terms of development platforms or technologies: we are primarily interested in people capable of adapting to an ever changing landscape of technical requirements, who learn fast and are not afraid to constantly push our technical boundaries. It is not uncommon for us to benchmark new technologies for a specific feature, or to change our infrastructure in a big way to better suit our needs. The most important skills for us revolve around two things:
- What we like to call “core” knowledge: what’s a software process, how does it interact with a machine’s or the network’s resources, what kind of constraints can we expect for certain workloads, etc
- How fast you can adapt to a technology you didn’t know existed 10 minutes ago
In short, we are looking for someone able to spot early on that spending 10 days to migrate data to a more efficient schema is the better solution compared to scaling out a database cluster in a matter of minutes if we are looking to improve performance in the long term.
Nice to Have
- Experience with data scraping over HTTP, WebSocket, and/or FIX Protocol
- Experience developing financial product methodologies for indices, reference rates, and exchange rates
- Knowledgeable about the technicalities of financial market data, such as the difference between: calls, puts, straddles, different types of bonds, swaps, CFD, CDS, options, futures, etc
- Honest, getting and giving feedback is very important to you
- Humble, making new errors is an essential part of your journey
- Empathetic, you feel a sense of responsibility for all the team’s endeavors and don’t pay attention to the individual level of involvement
- Committed, as an equally important member of the team, you want to make yourself heard while respecting everybody’s point of view
- Fluent in written and spoken English (we have 5 different nationalities in the team!)
- You have the utmost respect for legacy code and infrastructure, with some occasional and perfectly understandable respectful complaints
We do our best to select people that lead by example and experience rather than by position or seniority.
• Hardware of your choice
• Paid vacation
• Health insurance
• Multiple team events (annual retreat, casual drinks, etc.)
• An entrepreneurial environment with a lot of autonomy and responsibilities
• Staff surprises: just because we know that occasionally, small delights can brighten your day
• Other perks
- Hangout/Meet/Discord (20mins)
- Meeting with the head of engineering as well as another senior member of the team for a technical/product RPG: you read that right, no written test, no whiteboard quicksort implementation (1h30)
- Informal discussion with other members of the company (business, sales, 30m) and HR meeting (20mins).
- Meeting with our CEO
Each step is generally held on a different day, we do our best to follow-up in the next 24 hours, and we always provide the candidates with a thorough explanation of our decision.
• Contract type: Permanent - full time
• International applicants welcome!
Interested? Apply now by emailing your resume and a short introduction to firstname.lastname@example.org!